No one wants to spend a lot of time in Melbourne airport standing and waiting in line at security checkpoints and in the long lines at the counter of your airline. After all, the goal when going to the airport is to get in, get through security, and get to the gate as quickly as possible.
While you can’t speed up the security process, as you are dependent upon how many people there are and how many checkpoints are open, there are things you can do to make the process a little easier and hopefully, speed up your time in the airport.
The following are some of the ways you can make it easier to get through Melbourne Airport.
Print Your Boarding Pass before Arriving at the Airport
Printing your boarding pass before you arrive at the airport can cut your wait time in half, especially if you aren’t checking any luggage. You won’t have to stand in line at the counter waiting for your airline to print out the boarding pass for you. Instead, you can just head straight through to security.
Some airlines are going high-tech with their boarding pass and will allow you to download it to your smartphone. If you are travelling on one of the airlines that allow you to do this, you can opt to download the pass to your phone instead of printing it out.
Consider Not Checking Luggage
If you are travelling light, consider not packing a bag you need to check. This will eliminate the need to have to wait in line and check the bag.
When you are on your way out of the airport, it will also help, as you won’t have to wait around for your luggage. You can just get off the plane and head home.
Strategically Prepare for Security Checkpoints
The best way to speed up your time in the airport, especially at the security checkpoints, is to make sure you properly pack your carry-on. This means making sure that you pack or unpack certain items so you won’t be held up at the security checkpoints.
Some things to remember when packing your carry-on include:
- Place jewellery inside the carry-on as wearing it could slow you down when going through security checkpoints.
- Remove electronics, such as laptops, tablets, and E-readers, as security may require you to take them out of your carry-on and turn them on.
- Keep your pockets packed lightly as security may require you to empty your pockets.
- Dress lightly. Even if it is cold and you will be wearing a sweater or jacket, you will want to dress lightly as security may ask you to take off any bulky items. Taking the items off will slow you down. Just dress lightly and carry the items with you through security. You can put them on when you get through. Also resist the urge to wear a belt, as that will need to be removed.
- Check and follow all rules for your airline regarding how liquids should or shouldn’t be packed. The usual rule is you can only carry 100ml of liquid and it must be placed in a clear bag.
Try using these handy tips next time you need to go to Melbourne airport and you just might be surprised at how fast you can get through the airport.