Leave it to handsome Hollywood celebrity, Matt Damon, to give people the inspiration they need to see one of the world’s most awe-inspiring landmarks. Seeing The Great Wall of China is something which is on many people’s bucket lists, but just because something is on that list doesn’t mean it will ever be accomplished! That was until the upcoming new movie “The Great Wall” with Matt Damon was announced. Once this movie was announced, there was a sudden increase in tourism and interest in The Great Wall of China.
Realistically, you won’t see monsters or Matt Damon on the wall, but it really is a place that almost everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime.
Amazing, Awe-Inspiring Facts about The Great Wall of China
The facts show just how amazing, awe-inspiring and breathtaking the Great Wall of China can be. We have gathered a small sampling of some of the facts surrounding the Great Wall of China. Hopefully, by looking at the facts, you can get a better picture of why it is so popular and why it is considered one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.
Interesting facts about the Great Wall of China include:
- The wall spans over 21,196.18 km in length;
- It took over 6 dynasties to build the entire wall;
- It is hard to tell just how old the wall really is, some parts of the wall are over 2,300 years old;
- Over 70,000 tourists and visitors can visit the wall on a single day;
- Some people believe the wall can be seen from space, but it can’t -it requires some telescope or other aid to be seen from space;
- The Great Wall of China is not one continuous line – it is actually made up of several sections, side walls and other panels.
Planning a Trip to The Great Wall of China
If all this talk about the Great Wall of China has inspired you to go there, here are some tips that can help you plan your trip.
Tips for your trip to the Great Wall of China:
- The first week in May and October can be the most popular for the Badaling section of the wall.
- Badaling and Juyongguan sections are the closest proximity to the capital, Beijing. These areas tend to be the most crowded.
- Properly pack for a trip to The Great Wall of China. Don’t just show up. Pack water, food and be prepared to walk and be surrounded by hundreds, if not thousands, of people.
- Use the S-Line Service, which is a railway system, to arrive right at the entrance to the wall.
- Visit Qinhuangdao, an outer city of Beijing, where you can experience a new and different section of The Great Wall of China. Here you will visit the Shanghai Pass part of the wall. It is here that the wall actually stops and practically plunges right into the Bohai Sea. It truly an amazing sight.
Whether you are inspired by Matt Damon and want to see if there are really monsters at the wall (there aren’t) or if you want to be adventurous, you really should consider a trip to The Great Wall of China. It is a memory making an adventure that everyone who should experience.
If you want to get your trip off to a great start, use Ace Airport Parking. Our 24/7 security monitored airport car park is minutes from Melbourne airport, with fast, free shuttle buses to whisk you and your luggage in comfort. We have fantastic deals on undercover, long-term car parking and a range of optional extras. Contact us today to reserve your spot.